Serves 4 as entre or with other dishes
Serves 2 as a main with rice
- 200g Craig's New York Cut Steak or Point end of Rump
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 tblsp water
- 2 tblsp Lemon or Lime Juice
- 1 tblsp Fish Sauce
- 1 tblsp thinly sliced lemon grass, crushed after slicing
- 1 -2 Thai Chillies, seeds removed and finely chopped (or to taste)
- ½ large clove garlic, (or one small)finely chopped
- 1 tblsp shallots (green onions) finely chopped
- 1 Kaffir Lime Leaf, central vein removed and finely chopped
- 1 tblsp finely chopped mint leaves
- 1 tblsp finely chopped coriander
- 1 ½ tsp Palm Sugar or 1 ½ tsp light brown sugar
- ½ Red Onion finely sliced
- ½ Cucumber, sliced lengthways then sliced across into semi circles
- 1 Radish, sliced
- Handful of fresh Bean Shoots
- Iceberg lettuce leaves torn – enough to form a bed for the rest of the salad
- Extra mint and coriander to garnish
- Brush meat with oil and season with pepper. Allow to come to room temperature.
- Combine all Sauce ingredients in a bowl and stir. Allow to infuse.
- Season both sides of meat with salt and cook over a medium to high heat until well sealed but not cooked more than medium rare.
- Remove from pan and rest for 10 minutes
- Slice meat across the grain – 3 – 5 mm slices
- Add 2 tblsp water to pan (medium heat)
- Return meat to medium hot pan so that the water absorbs the flavour of the meat DO NOT OVER-COOK!!
- Remove from heat
- Add sauce, stir
- Add all salad ingredients EXCEPT the lettuce and garnish – stir to combine
- Serve on a bed of lettuce, garnish with mint and coriander
Note: For interesting rice add one slightly crushed Kaffir Lime leaf to Jasmine rice and cook by the absorption method. Remove leaf before serving. Garnish with coriander.