Asian Infused Take on a Classic
1 Kg Otway or free range pork belly
10 grams white Pepper
20 grams Mixed Spice Powder
5 grams 5 spice Powder
10 grams Fennel Seeds
5 grams Cinnamon
5 grams Cardomon Powder
30 grams Murray River Salt
- Score the Pork belly in a diagonal pattern about 5-10mm apart( if Craig hasn't already done this for you)
- Grind all the spices into a powder using a mortar and pestle then mix with the salt.(This recipe should make enough for at least 3-4 meals, so store the remaining spice mix in an air tight container)
- Rub the salt mix into the pork(top and bottom) then cover and refrigerate for 6 hours.
- Rinse off the salt rub under the tap, then pat dry with a tea towel. Can now be stored overnight if required. Rest to room temperature before cooking.
- Pre-heat oven to 250 C. Place pork on a wire rack over a tray, skin side up and brush with a little oil.
- Roast pork for 30 min until skin si crispy then turn temperature down to 150 C ( open the door briefly to let some heat out of the oven)
- Coninue to cook for 15-25 mins (depending on the thickness of the pork) until tender and juices run pink to clear. Don't over cook! Remove from oven.
- Rest 10-15 min uncovered or loosely covered with foil( or crackling will soften from the steam)
- Collect juices from tray to make excellent sauce or just add juices to a gravy mix. Slice pork 10-20 mm thick.