- 1 lamb shoulder (it can be boned and diced, but it works fine just with a whole shoulder)
- 2 tbspns flour
- 2 tbspns olive oil
- 2 onions diced
- 5 cloves garlic
- 125ml chicken stock
- salt & pepper
- 1 tspn powdered allspice
- 10 x shortcrust pastry cut into rounds about 10cm & 10 x shortcrust pastry rounds about 11cm
- 1 x egg yolk & 1 tspn water, lightly beaten, to glaze
- Dust the lamb shoulder with flour and, using a casserole dish with a tight fitting lid, brown evenly in oil on the stovetop.
- Saute onion and garlic in the same pan until golden.
- Add the stock, salt, pepper and allspice, bring to boil. Put on the lid and cook in the oven for 2 hours at 170C until tender.
- Allow to cool while still in the liquid and when its cool enough to handle shred the meat.
- Return the shredded meat into the liquid/onion mixture and refridgerate until cold.
- When cold, take a handful of the mixture and form into a ball and place onto one of the 10cm pastry discs.
- Cover with the 11cm pastry disc and seal the edges well.
- Brush with egg wash and bake at 200C for 15 - 17 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden.