Here is the recipe for oxtail called Oxtail Stew in the Country Cooking edition of the Womens Weekly cookbooks. I cooked it in a slow cooker for about 8 hours.
- 2kg oxtail, chopped
- plain flour
- 1/3 cup oil
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons oil, extra
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium (about 150g) onion, chopped
- 1 medium (about 120g) carrot, sliced
- 200g speck, chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- Toss oxtail in flour, shake away excess flour. Heat oil in pan, cook oxtail in batches until browned, transfer to overproof dish (12 cup capacity).
- Tie herbs in muslin. Heat extra oil in pan, add garlic, onion, carrot, celery and speck, cook, stirring, until vegetables are lightly browned.
- Add wine, simmer, uncovered, until reduced by half.
- Stir in herbs, stock and paste, pour over oxtail.
- Bake, covered, in moderately slow oven about 3 1/2 hours or until tender; cool, skim fat before reheating.