Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 8 minutes
- 500 g beef strips
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 -2 small red chillies, seeded and chopped
- 250 g dried thick rice noodles
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup chopped roasted peanuts
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves
- lime wedges to serve (optional)
- 1 cup bean sprouts, trimmed
- Add a little oil to the beef, the add garlic and chilli, mix well and set aside. Soak the noodles in boiling water for 7 minutes or until just soft. Drain and set aside. (Or prepare according to packet instructions). In a separate bowl whisk the fish sauce, lime juice and brown sugar, whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
- Heat the wok, ensure it is hot. Heat the oil in the wok, add the egg and cook for 1-2 minutes or until set and cooked.
- Remove from the wok and shred. Set aside to add later.
- Reheat the wok, stir-fry the beef strips in 3 batches, reserving each cooked batch to rest in a warm bowl. Reheat wok between each batch.
- Return the beef to the wok, add the noodles, toss for 1 minute.
- Add the sauce mixture, along with the shredded egg and toss for a further minute.
- Sprinkle with bean sprouts, peanuts and coriander leaves to serve.
Suggestion: Serve with lime wedges if desired.
To use less oil, coat the meat in oil instead of adding oil to the wok. You may prefer to add ingredients like a little soy or grated ginger for flavour. Massage the oil into the meat strips.
Best beef cuts for stir-frying: Use beef stir-fry strips or prepare your own from rib eye/scotch fillet/tenderloin, sirloin/porterhouse/New York, rump, boneless blade, round, oyster blade or topside steaks.